Hardwood floors are one of the best investments you can make. With proper care, they will stay beautiful and last for a lifetime. So how do you keep your floors as beautiful as the day they were installed or refinished? Here are some recommended tips.
- To reduce wear, use area rugs at work stations, dining areas, and heavily traveled areas and pivot-points (i.e. Stair landings, room entries, etc.), especially if there is a large family or indoor pets.
- Use dirt-trapping walk-off mats at all exterior doors to keep sand, grit, grease, and oil outside.
- Sweep or vacuum regularly, since build-up of grit can damage the finish. The vacuum head must be a soft brush or felt type. Be certain the wheels of the vacuum are clean and do not damage the flooring. Do not us a vacuum with a beater bar head.
- Remove spills promptly using a soft cloth and cleaning products recommended by the manufacturer.
- Keep petís nails trimmed and paws clean and free of dirt, gravel, grease, oil, and stains.
- Place protective pads beneath furniture legs and feet to reduce scratches and dents. Do not wax the base of chair legs. Clean the protective pads regularly to ensure that grit does not get embedded in them.
- Use a dolly and protective sheets of plywood when moving heavy objects, furniture, or appliances.
- Exposure to the sun and its UV rays accelerate the aging of wood. This causes the stain and/or wood to change color over time. We recommend rearranging rugs and furniture periodically so the floor ages evenly.